Astellas Pharma Associate Director, Oncology Communications in United States
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director, Oncology Communications.
Purpose & Scope:
The Associate Director, Oncology Communications, is a product communications subject matter expert, responsible for representing Astellas products/franchises internally and externally by developing strategies and executing programming that drive product understanding and differentiation in specific therapeutic areas, and impact Astellas' public policy, business and reputational goals. The Associate Director supports the therapeutic area brand teams in the US, ensuring the integration of appropriate traditional public relations tactics and digital/social media strategies to develop and execute programs that effectively promote Astellas, its values and brands to key internal and external stakeholders and influencers. Reporting to the Senior Director or Director, Product Communications, this position is also responsible for working across the organization to positively influence corporate image and employee engagement, as well as build brand/product pipeline awareness both regionally and globally.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Counseling Senior Director or Director of Product Communications and cross-functional colleagues on effective communications that further company's business/product strategies through earned media opportunities, employee engagement and digital/social media communications.
- Recommending and executing programming to address gaps in engagement with key audiences and implementation of public relations and strategic communications strategies and tactics for product launches, new indications, life cycle management opportunities, and disease awareness programs, among others. Ensure that all press releases, videos and other media venues are approved by inside stakeholders. (Legal, Regulatory Affairs, Medical and Marketing), including Portfolio Communications and other global stakeholders, as appropriate
- Anticipating potential product issues and coordinating rapid response teams, leading the team as needed
- Developing strategies and preparing for potential issues with comprehensive issues management communications plan, participation on internal issues management committee, drafting standby materials and recommendations, and leveraging relationships with top media to mitigate crises and effectively deliver Astellas product messaging
- Identifying and executing Executive Visibility programming for brand leaders with speeches, briefing materials and media interview opportunities
- Anticipating, drafting, seeking approval and collaborating on product/franchise press releases and web-based feature stories
- Supporting Investor Relations team with product information as needed, and global collaboration
- Leveraging, engaging, cultivating, and managing strong media relationships to seek and secure media coverage proactively and serving as a senior spokesperson on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the business
- Collaborating with and providing counsel to internal business partners, executive management, business and franchise heads and other team members on effective ways to communicate product key messages to external audiences
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with corporate, regions and functional communications professionals
- Developing comprehensive measurement tools and matrixes to gauge product communications programs' effectiveness and improve short and long term planning, strategies and tactics
- Ensuring all programming is running in accordance with legal, compliance, regulatory and finance policies
- Managing the relationships with the various public relations firms and other external service providers, and ensure the most efficient and economical utilization of these services to maximize the return of budget dollars
- Managing and maintaining positive working relationships with partner companies, ensuring that Astellas' best interests are served for the good of the product, franchise and corporate brand
This position develops strategic programs that support the overall business objectives. In addition, this role has impact on external vendor selection and management as well as budget management responsibility for integrated PR and advocacy programs.
This position reports into the Senior Director or Director of Product Communications, works closely with the therapeutic area franchise team, Portfolio Communications, Policy and Government Affairs, Alliance Management, Health Systems and across all departments/functions in Astellas.
- BS Degree or equivalent in journalism, communications or related field is required
- Requires a minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing corporate communications or public relations experience or relatable experience in operations, marketing, government affairs or patient relations.
- Requires 5 years of direct or indirect team management experience
- Strong experience in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to be a flexible team player with the highest ethical and business standards
- Experience building strong working relationships across organizations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership abilities and proven ability to manage budget programs and multiple agencies
- Self-starter able to handle multiple priorities, establishing and maintaining effective and efficient channels of communication with new media and opinion leaders
- Able to develop a proactive approach to maintain effective, current and relevant communication plans
- Ability to travel domestically 20-25%
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen
- Demonstrates strategic agility and excellent judgment
- Experience in current and future therapeutic areas relevant to Astellas' businesses, including Oncology.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled