Astellas Pharma Director Legal Counsel, Privacy & Data Security in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director, Legal Counsel for Privacy & Data Security in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Director, Legal Counsel for Privacy & Data Security is a key member of the IDAP team and is responsible for providing practical, timely, strategic, and high-quality legal advice and counsel on global privacy and data security-related matters across the Astellas enterprise, including Information Systems ("IS"), Data Governance ("DG"), Advanced Informatics & Analytics ("AIA"), Commercial, Clinical Sciences, Medical Affairs, and Rx+. This role also has responsibility for advising on and, in collaboration with Ethics & Compliance, ensuring Astellas' compliance with global privacy obligations, with a primary focus on the United States, Established Markets, and International Divisions.
This is a strategic position and is accountable for supporting the achievement of the Company's Corporate Strategic Plan ("CSP") objectives and proactively identifying and mitigating risks to the Company's ability to achieve its objectives under the CSP. In addition, given the increased business emphasis on the use of data analytics, as well as the heightened enforcement focus on patient and employee privacy issues around the world, this role is responsible for balancing business opportunities with associated legal and compliance risks in a complex and fast-evolving regulatory environment.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The Director, Legal Counsel for Privacy & Data Security will have the following responsibilities, working with the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead:
- Providing practical, timely, strategic, and high-quality legal advice and counsel on global privacy and data security-related matters across the Astellas enterprise with a primary focus on the United States, Established Markets, and International. This includes working closely, collaborating and coordinating with key stakeholders to advise on applicable privacy and data protection laws, regulations and guidelines affecting the Company's business.
- Advising on best practices and compliance with global privacy and data protection laws, as well as overseeing legal and regulatory aspects of data collection and use, privacy disclosures and transparency, and related issues.
- Advising on potential liability and other legal aspects related to data privacy and data security incidents and supporting the Company's privacy and cybersecurity incident response programs, including supporting the investigation of potential incidents, identifying applicable legal obligations, and supporting incident response efforts.
- Providing robust legal support for the strategic reviewing, drafting and negotiating of privacy and data security terms in contracts with business partners and vendors, including data processing agreements and data transfer agreements.
- Supporting the development and delivery of privacy training materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of Company privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures and legal obligations.
- Providing privacy and data security-related advice and support to Affiliate lawyers in the United States, Established Markets, and International (collectively referred to as the "Divisions"). "Affiliate lawyer" means a lawyer based in an Astellas office outside of the office locations in Tokyo, London and Chicago who report to/through one of the Legal Commercial Leads for the Divisions.
- Overseeing and providing updates to senior management and business clients on changes in legal developments affecting the pharmaceutical industry, especially in the area of data protection, IS security, data governance and privacy, coordinating with other leaders in the Legal function, as may be appropriate.
- Helping to manage and set priorities for the IDAP team based on Astellas' business goals, anticipated risks and available resources, ensuring consistent use of best practices and a high standard of professional excellence.
- Helping to develop a streamlined and consistent approach to advising the IS, DG, AIA, and GBS teams on those matters and activities supported by the IDAP team (taking into account local laws and practices as may be appropriate).
- Identifying key legal issues requiring attention from the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead, as appropriate.
- Anticipating potential legal issues within the organization with respect to functions and matters supported by the IDAP team and, in conjunction with the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead, developing strategies to mitigate risks.
- Retaining, supervising and directing outside counsel effectively and efficiently managing legal expenses consistent with global legal budget for Innovation, Governance, Technology and Data, coordinating closely with Legal & IP Operations.
- Coordinating closely with global Ethics & Compliance colleagues, particularly members of the Ethics & Compliance Privacy team.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead and the IDAP team to develop strategies for providing legal support the IS, DG, AIA, and GBS teams globally, including identifying specific legal requirements relative to such teams' activities and advising on opportunities and legal risks with respect to those matters supported by the IDAP team.
- Supporting the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead in leading a Culture of Excellence for the IDAP team which includes driving and fostering: (1) an agile, adaptive culture; (2) a value-based organization based on Legal's Mission, Strategic Plan and objectives; (3) a culture of innovation, transparency and trust; (4) proactive identification/mitigation of risk in a balanced approach; (5) empowerment and engagement of the IDAP team members; and (6) a collaborative culture with close coordination with other members of Legal and IP as appropriate to leverage synergies and efficiencies; (7) a culture of compliance and good corporate governance; and (8) continuous expectation of high performance, where "ok" is not good enough.
- Working collaboratively with a broad range of people and functions throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong working relationships across all functional areas to facilitate a partnering-based approach.
- Other projects as may be requested by Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead or the Legal Head of Innovation, Governance, Technology and Data.
- Overnight travel, including international travel, as needed.
- Reports to the Executive Director, Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy Lead.
- Member of the Legal IS, Data Analytics, and Privacy ("IDAP") team.
- Works closely and collaborates with colleagues at local, Divisional and global levels.
- Works closely and coordinates with other members of the IDAP Team.
- Law Degree, LL.M. or equivalent.
- At least 7-10 years' experience working in a law firm or pharmaceutical legal department.
- In-depth knowledge of international, federal and state laws and regulations regarding privacy and data security, including CCPA and GDPR.
- Deep understanding of the legal issues affecting the pharmaceutical industry, including regulatory processes for prescription drugs, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, anti-bribery and anti-corruption and antitrust laws. Strong knowledge of global regulatory environment that affects decision-making across Astellas' global business. In-depth understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, including IP, manufacturing, R&D, regulatory and commercial elements.
- Strong ability to grasp legal issues quickly, strong analytical problem solving and decision making skills, exercise sound judgment and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a time-sensitive dynamic and fast-paced complex global environment.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written). Ability to communicate legal issues in a clear and understandable manner. Inspires trust and confidence through effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage large workload, multi-task, focus on critical priorities, and otherwise effectively meet client needs. Ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressures.
- Team player and able to build relationships, both internally and externally, on a global scale.
- Strong organization and teamwork skills. Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- A strong commitment to integrity and professionalism and demonstrated passion for excellence.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled