Astellas Pharma Associate Director Decision Analysis & Operation Research in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director Decision Analysis & Operation Research opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
This position will be the operations research expert for Astellas Enterprise Analytic Services function and more broadly within Astellas. The mission for this role is to lead the education and change management to improve Astellas' strategy and decisions using advanced analytical techniques, such as optimization, simulation, mathematical modeling, and management science. This role proactively identifies opportunities to improve Astellas' business and strategy through operations research. The role provides insights to drive business value and create competitive advantages. This role is tasked with creating a simulation and optimization capability within Astellas including the design, influencing teams to adopt innovation, and change management across and within divisions. This position collaborates with existing analytics teams, Information Systems, Decision Science, and Divisional leaders to pilot, implement, and scale comprehensive analytics solutions. This role serves as a subject matter expert with these specific analytics methods and change agent across the entire value chain and regions.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Proactively identifies Astellas challenges that can be addressed with operations research and decision analysis and actively persuades business leaders to implement solutions with EAS' guidance and leadership.
- Designs and performs mathematical and econometric analysis across the entire value chain such as supply chain management, Quality Control/Quality Assurance, portfolio strategy optimization in support of PPS and M&D, and optimization of resources in Sales, Marketing and Finance.
- Leads cross-functional initiatives and manages the appropriate resources and timelines to implement
- Advises on simulation systems and executes complex scenario planning and simulations
- Establishes and champions best practices within Astellas on the design of optimizations/simulations
- Partners with Advanced Analytics and Decision Science teams on integrating quantitative and qualitative decision-making tactics
- Educates other divisions and management on operations research approaches and advocates to implement theses methods to drive value at Astellas
- As recognized external OR expert, current on and available to set the latest trends in the area by through knowledge, reputation, and utilizing external networks
- Helps optimizing multi-million dollar budgets and proactively identifies opportunities for efficiency and growth
- Simulates major strategy options and informs portfolio management
Increase operational efficiency and strategic decision-making. Broadening the application and impact of operations research at Astellas
- Reports to EAS Lead and may have up to four direct reports.
- This position requires close collaboration with Pharmaceutical Technology, Product and Portfolio Strategy, Decision Science, Regional Commercial Teams, and Corporate Planning and Strategy.
- Master's and/or Ph D in Operations Research, Decision Science, Economentrics or 10 years relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in applying operation research with linear and non-linear optimization and simulation modeling
- Experience managing projects and/or people within a matrix environment
- Experience with processes and procedures in data management, data standards
- Programming experience in R, SAS, Matlab, OCTAVE, CPLEX, or other languages
- Experience with designing and writing programs for linear/non-linear optimization and simulation modeling
- Experience with data analysis and statistical modeling
- Experience in change management at a corporate scale
- Excellent organizational, people, project and time management skills
- Solid oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Recognized and published expert
- Experience with pharmaceutical data
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical processes across R&D, commercial and finance
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Advanced Informatics & Analytics